All-inclusive online service for registering newborn babies on the state services portal Diia
Now Ukrainian parents do not have to go anywhere, make photocopies or wait in line. They can register their newborn and access other services within a few minutes online, and fill out only one application.
eMalyatko includes 10 services from different institutions:
- state registration of birth,
- determination of the child’s origin,
- assignment of support for a newborn,
- registration in the State Register of Individual Taxpayers,
- assignment of a unique record number (URN) to a child in the Unified State Demographic Register,
- determination of a child’s citizenship of Ukraine,
- registration of a child’s place of residence,
- support assignment for large families,
- publication of information about a child in the Register of Patients,
- registration of certificates of parents and children for large families (in progress).
The approximate time of filling out the application on eMalyatko is 20-30 minutes, birth registration takes place within 1 working day.
eMalyatko helps to save time and avoid risking the health of the family during the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have developed our own platform working on BPMN. Based on it, we have created the portal “Diia”, which can be used as a “marketplace” of public online services, each of which is a separate application.
This requires minimal involvement of programmers to launch new services on the platform. The logic of services is described and configured by business analysts and configurators. This allows us to launch new electronic services quickly and simultaneously.
For eMalyatko, we utilized the same technology and linked it with several external state registries, including:
- the Civil Registry Office,
- the Migration Service,
- the Tax Service,
- the Ministry of Social Policy,
- the Territorial Community Register,
- and the Patient Register.
The creation of this web service was not just about transferring paper documents online. This process involved detailed analysis and a complete rethinking of existing processes, to build new, highly efficient, and simple ones.
We have analyzed the registration processes of services connected to childbirth and we designed a “1 process — 1 application” that unites both of them. All you need to do is enter the information about the mothers, the fathers, and the children in the online applications, and just check all necessary services.
We linked the service with several state registers so that the parents will not have to enter the data that already exists in the state system. The data is automatically synchronized in all the systems.
Parents can apply for eMalyatko on their own at any time. In some cases, you can ask for the help of the administrator registering. For example, in the case of surrogacy or if the couple is married but the father is another individual, and when it is necessary to check additional documents.
The eMalyatko services application has a convenient UX design, step-by-step tips and is written in comprehensive language. This creates a smooth user experience and helps change the perception about public services as something complex and incomprehensible, rendering a friendly service.
How it works
- To apply, parents must register with “Diia” and obtain electronic signatures (ES). If the child’s parents are married and have a common surname, the ES of one of the parents, the applicant, is enough.
- At the maternity hospital, information about the birth of a child is entered into the electronic register of eHealth patients and parents get an electronic medical certificate containing information about the baby, confirming the birth.
- Based on the medical report, parents can register the child with eMalyatko. The application form for both parents and administrators is the same. Information about one of the parents is taken automatically from the Diia profile, the other parent should fill in the data manually.
- When the parents еnter the medical certificate number. Diia sends a request to eHealth and Diia gets the information about the child’s gender, date, and place of birth. The only thing Parents need is to provide a first name, choose the last name if it is different. The middle name will be automatically assigned by the system. But due to different cultural features, it is possible to edit or delete them.
- Parents can choose any other available eMalyatko services, by just checking the box.
- The application should be signed by the parents’ ES, the application is sent to the parents by email.
Interaction with registers
eMalyatko combines all the services provided by the various government agencies and each of them has data made in its own format.
We have combined different external registries, and this was the most difficult part because each register has its own characteristics and low-quality information.
Having created the application, eMalyatko launched the new process automatically. data is converted through the Trembita electronic resource interaction service in a slick user-friendly way, into a format for correct transmission, a structure that is typically used for storage in registers.
These formats differ from each other, and this process of data conversion is exactly what makes the service convenient and easy to use.
“Trembita” does not accept all messages. This is a security mechanism that requires proper authorization from the client system, in this case, the Diia portal, using the ES of users. It is dangerous to store such an ES as a file on the server. In addition, working with these files has its limitations, while hundreds of applications can be registered by the portal every second. To address these issues, “Gryada” component hardware signature technology is used. This server device performs many cryptographic operations simultaneously, securely stores keys, avoids blocking, and remains available.
A few seconds after the conversion and ES performance, these statements go through Trembita to the SCRVR (State Civil Registry of Vital Records) server. If all is good, Diia replies that the data was successfully received, and the system puts the process in a standby mode for a status update by the SCRVR system.
When dealing with external resources, not everything can go smoothly: there may be common problems with the communication channel, etc. In case of unsuccessful submission of the application, several attempts are made, and in case of further problems, the support service is notified.
Then the application is processed by an employee of the SCRVR. If everything goes according to plan a birth certificate is created. If there are errors, Diia sends the user a message asking them to submit a new application. Users can monitor the application status in the personal Diia account.
If parents have ordered the assignment of the URN and the taxpayer’s number, this data is automatically sent to the SCRVR web portal from the State Migration Service and the State Tax Service and is immediately mentioned in the certificate.
The SCRVR employee can now print the child’s birth certificate. Information about the document and the parents will be sent to the institutions that register the place of residence, assign payments and enter data into the Register of Patients.
After a notification about the certificate being ready, parents can pick it up at the application submission department.
The implementation of the eMalyatko service was carried out by the Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine with the support of the Prime Minister of Ukraine, the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Social Policy, the Ministry of Finance, the State Migration Service, the State Tax Service and with the support of international projects: EGAP program (Swiss Confederation and Eastern Europe Foundation), SURGe with the support of the Government of Canada, EGOV4U UKRAINE project, which is part of the U-LEAD program with Europe.